Compare the Grants

The NSW Government is offering 3 types of financial support to businesses:

Generally, the support your business will be eligible for will be based on:

  • whether your business turnover is under or over $75,000
  • the documentation you can provide to support your claim
  • whether you are a sole trader or non-employing business who is already receiving the Australian Government’s COVID-19 disaster payment

The 2021 COVID-19 micro-business grant provides cash flow support for micro-businesses that have had a 30% or more decline in revenue due to the lockdown. This grant offers a one-off payment to eligible micro-businesses with an aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000.

Applications will close at 11:59pm on 18 October 2021.

Any micro-business, sole trader or not-for-profit organisation with a national aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000 that has been impacted by the lockdown can apply for this grant.

Examples of entities that may be eligible to apply:

  • sole trader or small business with or without employees
  • sole trader or small partnership impacted by sickness, injury or leave
  • partnerships
  • self-employed (with or without an ABN)
  • new business that was operating before 1 June 2021
  • business that was not operating for the full year to 30 June 2021
  • business acquisition, disposal or business restructure that has impacted the business’ turnover
  • business affected by drought, bushfire or other natural disaster
  • not-for-profit organisation.

Once your application has been accepted, you will receive automatic fortnightly payments of $1,500 from the start of the lockdown.

Payments will be made in arrears with the first payment backdated to 26 June 2021.

If you have employees, you must notify Service NSW if you do not maintain the number of employees you had on 13 July 2021. You will not need to re-apply.

If you do not employ staff, you cannot receive the COVID-19 micro-business grant if you or anyone associated with your business has received or is deriving income from the Australian Government’s COVID-19 disaster payment.

If you employ staff, you can receive this grant and your employees can also receive the Australian Government’s COVID-19 disaster payment.

Check the documents list to find out what you will need to provide with your application.

If you do not meet all of the eligibility criteria or have all of the supporting documentation, you may be able to provide alternative supporting evidence. Contact Service NSW to discuss your situation.

You can apply even if your ABN is registered in another state, but you will need to show that your business is operating in NSW.

  • Letter from your qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent (see our template letter) that outlines your
    • decline in turnover
    • aggregated annual turnover
    • proof that your business operates in NSW (if your ABN is registered in another state) which may include utility bills, insurance papers, supply invoices, registration papers, contractor licences.
  • Previously submitted letter from your qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent to Service NSW that verifies your business turnover and decline in revenue.

If you do not have either of these, you can provide evidence such as:

  • Australian Income Tax Return (you do not need to show a tax file number)
  • Business Activity Statement (BAS)
  • Business bank account statements (separate from any personal accounts) for a minimum 3-month period showing
    • a turnover of more than $30,000 and less than $75,000 (your quarterly bank statement will need to show turnover of $7,500 or more)
    • a decline in turnover of 30% or more over a minimum 2-week period during the lockdown compared to
      • the same period in 2019, or
      • the same period in 2020, or
      • the 2-week period immediately before lockdown commenced (11 June to 25 June 2021).
  • Extract from accounting software and an annotated personal bank statement.

To prove your business operates in NSW you can provide commercial rates notices or lease agreements.

If these documents are not available, Service NSW may accept a combination of the following:

  • utility bills
  • insurance papers
  • supply invoices
  • registration papers
  • contractor licences.

If you are a not-for-profit you will also need to provide all of the following:

  • a copy of your constitution (or a governing document such as articles of association)
  • minutes and resolutions from AGM (bi-annual meetings) for the previous 3 years
  • audited financial statements for the previous 3 years.
  • Letter of Authority – Your accountant or tax agent will need to be listed as a contact for your business on the Australian Business Register in order to submit an application on your behalf. If they are not listed, they will need to include a Letter of Authority with the application.
  • Aggregated annual turnover means your annual turnover (all ordinary income you earned in the ordinary course of running a business for the income year) plus the annual turnover of any entities you are connected with or that are your affiliates. For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office website.
  • Business Activity Statement (BAS) – How you lodge your BAS determines how you will be able to find your statements. For example, if you lodge through the ATO online services for business, your next statement will be available there. If your accountant lodges your BAS on your behalf, they will be able to assist you. For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office website.